Coming October 17th 2017: Pre-order NOW
Motherhood Reimagined: When Becoming A Mother Doesn't Go As Planned
At the age of 39, Sarah began to realize time was running out to have a baby. After grappling with what it meant to have a baby alone with a sperm donor, she eventually realized that she’d always wanted a baby more than anything, only to find out she was infertile. Thus, began a year of hope and despair in which she fought the diagnosis, refusing to move onto donor eggs as suggested by her doctor. She catapulted herself into a diligent regime of herbs, Qigong, meditation, acupuncture and more in a futile attempt to improve her egg quality. Instead she uncovered dormant self-doubt and self-hatred fueled by her body’s inability to conceive. She bravely faced into those emotions showing that embodied spiritual practice and awareness are powerful warriors. Eventually love won out as she surrendered her previous notions of what it meant to be a mother and embraced a path to motherhood that involved both egg and sperm donation. Throughout it all, Sarah processes many troubling and difficult emotions, turning heartache and disappointment into tools for self-improvement so she can step into motherhood grounded, aware and free from regret. Sarah’s is a story of personal triumph and unconditional love that shows what’s possible when we are willing to put down the version of motherhood we expected and embrace the unconventional.
Sarah’s honest and informative memoir examines the issues facing both single moms by choice and any woman facing fertility issues and third party reproduction. She offers a personal narrative that speaks for a generation of women who, like the author, thought she had time to have a baby well into her forties and a growing number of women who will not let the lack of a partner stand in the way of having a child. Sarah takes us on her journey in which she examines her choices and surrenders to a completely different vision of motherhood than she had ever imagined, showing us how love prevails.
Her book answers many questions such as: Why would someone decide to have a baby alone? How does one come to terms with not having a genetic link to her child? How can infertility be a means for personal growth and spiritual awakening?
Join my book mailing list to get updates, excerpts and presale information.
What People Are Saying
- In Motherhood Reimagined, Sarah Kowalski chronicles her heartbreaking, yet ultimately inspiring journey from work-obsessed attorney to want-to-be solo mom. This compelling story of yearning rises above the rest as Kowalski grippingly recounts the fear, regret, and anger that accompanied her race against infertility. The book is a must-read for any women who hears the ticking of her biological clock.
The number of women choosing to parent alone is increasing by the day. In her gripping memoir, Motherhood Reimagined, Sarah Kowalski reveals the disappointment and taxing medical interventions that can surround this decision. Every woman considering becoming a solo mom by choice should read this powerful book.
--Marika Lindholm CEO and founder of ESME.com (Empowering Solo Moms Everywhere)
- “From the moment we meet Sarah Kowalski, a successful corporate attorney ignoring her biological clock, through her passionate quest to overcome infertility, to her early days of solo motherhood, one thing is for sure: nothing will go as planned. But Kowalski proceeds with determination, dissolving every physical and emotional barrier that dares stand in her way. This book is a must-read for anyone charting an unconventional path toward parenthood.”
–Cheryl Dumesnil, Love Song for Baby X: How I Stayed (Almost) Sane on the Rocky Road to Parenthood.
- “This very readable story of the author’s journey to single motherhood by choice is a must-read for anyone contemplating becoming an SMC. It feels like a good friend is letting you join her on the trip as she shares her ups and downs, disappointments and celebrations. Informative, emotionally moving, and hard to put down.”
-- Jane Mattes, psychotherapist and Founder Single Mothers by Choice (SMC). Author, Single Mothers by Choice.
- In the years that I've been communicating with Choice Moms, there are two things that stand out as true: 1) We don't realize how difficult it might be to conceive, which is exhausting to discover in our late 30s and 40s; 2) We underestimate our ability as strong-minded women to "get it done," whatever it takes. Sarah is admirably able in this memoir to openly capture both the vulnerability and the strength of her story of becoming a mother — a journey that never goes according to plan, and that teaches us more about ourselves than we can ever detail on our To Do lists.— Mikki Morrissette, founder ChoiceMoms.org, author "Choosing Single Motherhood: The Thinking Woman's Guide"
- "In Motherhood Reimagined Sarah Kowalski has accomplished what most memoir writers can never do. She has written two memoirs seamlessly woven together. One is an amazingly informative story about infertility and what one woman did to get pregnant. You will laugh and cry at Sarah's ability to capture the ups and downs of this saga. But she has also written a narrative about her spiritual struggles that is as interesting as her journey toward motherhood. This is one of those rare books that is not only replete with important information but it might even slip you onto your own path toward enlightenment.”
--Roy M Carlisle, Senior Editorial Consultant, The Crossroad Publishing Company